A propos de la Recette / About the Recipe
This Jackfruit Curry recipe is a quick & easy vegetarian dinner that comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Ingrédients / Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1-inch fresh ginger, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14.5 oz) can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 (20 oz.) can green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
- fresh cilantro (optional for garnish)
Préparation / Preparation
1. In a large deep skillet (use a 3.5-quart or larger pot), heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sautée the onion and bell pepper until they soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Add in the garlic and ginger and sautée for 1 minute more, just until they are fragrant. Add in the curry powder, cumin, and turmeric and stir until the vegetables are coated with the spices.
3. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and coconut milk, and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the liquid to a boil.
4. While the curry sauce is heating up, break up the rinsed jackfruit with your fingers, creating a texture similar to shredded chicken. Rinse the jackfruit again, after it has been shredded, to remove any extra brine, then drain well. Add the drained jackfruit to the sauce.
5. Once the sauce is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer to let the flavors meld, at least 10 minutes, but you can let it simmer longer if you like.
6. When everything is heated through, taste the sauce and adjust any seasoning to your taste. You can add a splash of maple syrup if you prefer a sweeter curry sauce or add extra curry powder or a pinch of cayenne if you like it spicier. Serve warm over cooked rice, a green veggie side dish, and garnish with fresh cilantro.